My Moleskine today...


I'll have to bring my Moleskine along more frequently again... for the fun of it.
Even though my new teacher in drawing (with figure) thinks that "all figurative art and perspectives have no reasons to exist nowadays. It's supposed to be over". This is normal we are in France, where they think the profound knowledge of drawing is of no use. I like figurative art and I think it should live along with the abstract art. There is no reason they shouldn't.
Figurative art focuses more on what surrounds us, while the abstract art expresses the artist mostly. Even if he might be in connection with what he's watching, it's more "his art and himself" he ends up showing. Rather that telling things about others or about his environment he talks about himself. Of course this is just one idea of it and the borders and lines are thin between the two.
I like abstract art too, just believe they can live side by side.
Well, for me there are still things to discover in figurative art... I might go abstract after that.

Now, 10th of october, after another session with my new teacher... I'm already convinced that his teaching will modify my way of drawing. Part of what he says I've experienced already... I just have to use it in another way. But I still believe it's a little silly to say that figurative expression, perspectives and shadow indications are not of this era. I'm sure all is not said about those points either. Everything hasn't been told in all ways possible yet! That's nonsense. It has just been a hundred years, a little more, since art started it's "revolution". So, let's invent new stuff!! Well, I let you all help me to do so, as my evolution might be a little slow.

Comments

  1. I hate to say it, but if I came across a teacher that told me drawing was passe and wasn't necessary anymore, I'd be looking for a new teacher. I love your drawings and hope you keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said Dave, this is France and he's not the only one. In some way I know what he means, but In my eyes the evolution toward abstract expression must go through the knowledge of drawing to be profound. Drawing is just the start, but a must, in any way you take it or turn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "all figurative art and perspectives have no reasons to exist nowadays. It's supposed to be over". That's his own point of view. I'm french too and prefer Degas drawing than any abstract speculation :o)
    By the way I like what you do, it's living

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci Philippe, de passer par là et en plus t'exprimer. Pour qu'il n'aie pas de malentendus je voudrai préciser que je ne critique pas la France, (mon pays d'adoption!), ni les Français. Juste la manie que certains enseignants ont de ne pas enseigner les bases que ce soit du dessin ou de la peinture. Ceci se passe dans des lieu de réputation. Je trouve qu'un peu de technique rajouté à leur cours ne ferai pas de mal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible sketches. Incredible. Congrats from Madrid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment