Watercolor figure sketches (2)...



Not a very productive session yesterday...
How come that in a "professional" place like this one, they don't know how to make the best out of it? It seems as fact that many of the "artists" assisting to these sessions want to draw with the daylight, which means they don't want to put light spots on, even if it's too dark to draw. Today I could't even see what I was drawing on my sheet of paper! The model didn't have any clear light and shadows on his body. The studio is dark, as they want to keep the character of the place with it's dust and dark aging walls, no light can be reflected from them. Im not against the conservation of historic sites, but maybe there are other ways of doing things in year 2012! And on top of it all, the organization of the poses is not the best, with a long pose in the beginning of the session and the short at the end. Even the model falls asleep right away!! It's very difficult to get the energy back to draw quick sketches after the long one. Some days there seems to be a little more light and energy in the place, but days like yesterday are just hopeless.
This problem is quite common, almost everywhere I've drawn it is more or less the same problem with the lightning. Apart from some exceptional places where the natural light was fantastic. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in France when we would like to make things change it seems to be very, very difficult.

Comments

  1. Oh man :S
    I know what you mean - It's so hard to 'see' the model when the lighting is really flat....
    When you have directional light, you can have so much fun playing with the shadows to create depth and volume....
    BUUUUTTTT, these two paintings are still very awesome!!
    (Guess we just need to start a revolution - that's how it works in France right? :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good I'm not alone for this mouvement!! I started the revolution as I wrote a letter to the organizer! Who will think I'm crazy now, but so what! At least I've given my opinion for once. : )
    Take care, and luck with every project of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need someone to march with you in front of the building , let me know! ;) A bientôt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeeyyyyyyyyyyy, I also pointed to the protest .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news today, changes might be possible! I also managed to make them put the light on for the last hour (not without insisting and arguing though). Nevertheless it didn't turn out to be super session anyway, but it might be my fault sometimes too, he he.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment