One session, three ways...





Many things dictates what comes out when I paint a figure... 
I prefer when it all goes quite fast. The first sight on the subject, creates an image in my mind. Quick lines on the paper confirm that image. The light and shadows make the volume stand out with their contrast. Contrast also in the hues - cool and warm colors search balance. The spots on the paper dictate what follows next each time, something goes wrong or doesn't fit; I paint it over to adjust it... sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Not a big deal. Surprises can appear, whatever it is, I have to keep it or paint over it. I continue to work until I see some kind of interest in what's on the sheet of paper. I try not to give up too easily and also to let things happen, perseverence helps. 
With watercolor I also find that the paper decides an awful lot! I have difficulty to find the one that suites me best. I'll continue my research for the perfect paper. For sketches I prefer when the pigment stays in the surface, on drawing paper it does, but it's too thin most of the times and not really adapted to watercolor. I had a paper I liked... I'm using up the last sheets here soon, they have changed the production of it, now it has nothing to do with the same pack last year! Very disturbing for me! 

Comments

  1. Beautiful nudes, the second one is amazing.. my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah franchement ils sont génial ces dessins...
    Le premier est tellement en volume/proportion - très solide.
    Le deuxième a l'air très frais et léger, avec la douce lumière que tape le corps..
    Mais c'est le troisième qui me plaît le plus!! Le pose est ouf et bien capturé dans ce minimaliste façon - et comme tu dit, j'adore le contraste en couleur avec les chauds et froids.
    (ET AUSSI Le post en bas était chouette)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen
    cuanto te entiendo con los cambios en el papel , en muchas ocasiones hasta dentro del mismo paquete hay papeles diferentes... si es un problema , yo antes usaba Scholler, me iva bien pero cambió el papel y ya no se ajustaba a lo que estaba acostumbrado.
    Empece una busqueda como tú...
    Al final siempre encuentras ...
    Saludos y suerte en tu busqueda!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aprendo mucho cuando observo tus apuntes, tan limpios y con un cuidado exquisito de sombras y matices con muy pocos tonos.
    Sigo aprendiendo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. La 2 ou la 3, j'hésite… J'aime tellement les fantômes ! Je serais d'ailleurs assez curieux de savoir quelles sont les musiques qui te hantent, quand tu peins ou entre deux peintures… Mais surtout : question de papier ou pas, ne lâche pas !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Helen:) Love your sketches. The second is absolute my fav. All three are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the feel of the middle sketch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, siempre he envidiado esa rapidez de decisión que se nota en tus trabajos, con la luz-sombra, cómo la colocas, las buenas decisiones de fríos y cálidos, eso no es algo fácil para mí, sin embargo para tí no.
    Has probado a usar el papel más sencillo de Gvarro? es de textura fina y mantiene el color en la superficie. Un saludo, Nes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried arches 140 lb rough paper? great texture

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment